Back from vacation, I am ending a month-long hiatus. Despite my absence, my projects are moving along slowly but surely.
Last week, I got word that I will receive a quote for the benchwork of the Fessenheim project within the next few weeks, and I am hopeful that the parts can be lasered by the end of the year.
Yesterday, I was excited to learn from a colleague back in Germany that my DB class 260 and 333 shunters are now equipped with PROTO:87 wheels and will be sent for re-lettering at AW Cannstatt in Stuttgart.
Also, before vacation, I ordered a few decals from www.modellbahndecals.de in order to try re-lettering a few freight cars myself. The decals are printed and on their way via air mail from Germany. Since this will be my first attempt at re-lettering rolling stock, I ordered twice the number of decals necessary – just in case something goes wrong.
Finding appropriate prototype photographs with car numbers was no easy feat – I couldn’t seem to find suitable pictures of the Tds926 on the web. One problem is that the classification and numbering scheme was not always decipherable, or the caption omitted the check digit. That’s when I started looking for a solution to verify the UIC numbering scheme for freight cars.
For more information on the UIC numbering scheme for freight cars, see the Wikipedia article on UIC wagon numbers.